Wednesday 21 March 2012

Super Duper Carrot Bread

So for my first recipe I'm going to post this one that I came up with the other day. I was craving some carrot bread a la Mimi's Cafe...but there aren't any of those here in Wales. I went through my cabinets to see what I had and came up with the following recipe.

It's not QUITE like the carrot bread from Mimi's Cafe but it's definitely close and definitely delicious!! It's super filling and tasty. I recommend shmearin' some fake butter (or real butter, whatever) on a warm slice of this bad boy. Give it a try!

Since it's chock full o' carrot, fruit and seeds, I feel that I can trick myself into thinking that this totally has loads of health benefits. Amirite?



1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups brown sugar
3 medium eggs
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup seeds of your choice - I used a mixture of sunflower, pumpkin, sesame and golden linseed
1/2 cup pineapple drained well and chopped fine
1/2 cup raisins - the raisins I found here are massive. Next time I'll use ''sultanas'' which are what I think of when I think of raisins. Oooo or dried cranberries. I bet that'd be awesome...mmm...
1 cup shredded carrot - Shred your carrots SUPER fine and then once you get a cup, squeeze all excess moisture out

1. Preheat oven to 350F or 175ish C.

2. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.

3. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, oil, and brown sugar.

4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix. Then toss in the seeds, coconut, pineapple, raisins, and carrots. Mix.

5. Pour batter into oiled/floured 8 inch baking dish

6. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean - took me about an hour but my oven is really temperamental so you may have a different cooking time!

No comments:

Post a Comment