Wednesday 21 March 2012

My first ever food blog entry!

So this is exciting, eh? Well, where to begin?

Many friends, including my husband, encouraged me to start a food blog. Perhaps it's just because they were sick of seeing all of my ''OMG THIS WAS SOOOO GOOD'' status updates on facebook? Either way, I figured I might as well give it a shot. Everyone else has a food blog, so I want one too!

A little bit of background information? I'm 28 years old and up until this past summer, spent the last 10 years of my life in Tulsa and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. In May, I got married to a British fella and at the end of July I moved to Wales. Hellooooo culture shock! You wouldn't think it'd be all that difficult seeing as we speak the same language and all but boy oh boy, trust me when I say it's different. Way different.

Firstly, EVERYTHING is SO expensive and there aren't piles of coupons included in the Sunday paper. There isn't even a ''Sunday paper'', hahahaha! So much for my love of coupon clipping! Secondly, the food is different. The meat has a different flavor. Bacon is not bacon, but ham or something. I miss breakfast sausage in a very serious way. And since we're on the subject of sausage...it's weird here. I don't know how to describe it. Creamy? I just don't know. You have to try it to understand. The grocery stores are laid out differently, the fresh and frozen food sections are much smaller than what I am used to. The potatoes aren't the same (my kingdom for an Idaho spud!!) and lots of items have different names here. Cilantro? Try coriander. Eggplant? Try aubergine. Zucchini? Try courgette. I can't find elbow macaroni at the local Tesco so it should come as no surprise that the pasta selection is dire. Even ''cheap'' food like canned beans and shit are expensive. Christ help me. Oh, but ''baked beans'' are a dime a goddamn dozen.

But it's not ALL bad. Ya can't get smoky bacon crisps (potato chips) in the US! There isn't a ''chippy'' (a place where one can hop in and get fish and chips wrapped up in paper) on every corner in the US! I don't know if I could ever live without a kebab shop nearby now, and I went 28 good years without a kebabbary. Is that a real word? It should be.

After working pretty much constantly for the past 10 years, this is the first time I've been jobless. It's hard enough for a local to land a job here in the UK, let alone a foreigner with no local references. So, needless to say, between perusing the jobseekers website and sending off CVs and applications, I have a lot of time on my hands to ALSO peruse grocery ads, pinterest and my cupboards.

So, that's where this blog comes in. Why should you ''Trust a Fat Kid...''? Because a fat kid will never lead you astray when it comes to really good food. If a fat kid says something tastes good, you should believe them. Oh, also, I'm a fat kid. My husband and I are trying to lose weight, admittedly. When I told Dylan (that's the husband) that I was going to name my food blog ''Trust a Fat Kid...'' he asked ''Well, what happens when you're not fat anymore?'' My response? ''Even if I'm not outwardly fat, there will ALWAYS be a fat kid living in me who knows wtf she's talking about when it comes to feeding her face''. Fact.

So sit back and relax. I'll blog about food I make using my own brain. I'll blog about food I make using recipes I find online. I'll blog about food I buy in packets/boxes/bags/etc. found here in the UK. I'll blog about food I order out at restaurants/takeaways/etc. I may also blog about homemade dog treats or other things I make using food products that may or may not be for actual consumption (just saw a pin about making cleaning spray with orange peels and vinegar on pinterest). We'll see!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment